A Computation-Aware Scheme for Motion Estimation in H.264
- Jin-Jang Leou 0, Fu-Chieh Chuang
- Corresponding Author
- Jin-Jang Leou
0National Chung Cheng University
Available Online undefined NaN.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.212How to use a DOI?
- H.264 video coding, computation-aware video coding, motion estimation
- In this study, a computation-aware scheme for motion estimation (ME) in H.264 is proposed. The objective of the proposed scheme is to properly distribute the available ME computations of the H.264 encoder. Here, the temporal motion vector prediction technique is used to get the predicted motion vector (PMV) of each macroblock (MB). The sum of absolute components of the PMVs of all the MBs in a video frame is used as the measure to allocate the target computation to a video frame. The proposed scheme contains four phases: 1) frame-level computation allocation, 2) MB-level computation allocation, 3) mode-level computation allocation, and 4) pixel-level computation allocation. As compared with the comparison scheme, the proposed computation-aware schemes for motion estimation in H.264 usually have the better performance (average PSNR improvement and bit rate increment) in most simulation cases.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Jin-Jang Leou AU - Fu-Chieh Chuang PY - NaN/NaN DA - NaN/NaN TI - A Computation-Aware Scheme for Motion Estimation in H.264 BT - 9th Joint International Conference on Information Sciences (JCIS-06) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.212 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.212 ID - LeouNaN/NaN ER -