An Improved Vector Quantizer Design Method: the Codebook Reorganization Algorithm
- Ting-Wei Hou 0, Houng-Kuo Ku, Yuan-Tsung Chen
- Corresponding Author
- Ting-Wei Hou
0Department of Engineering Science, NCKU
Available Online October 2006.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.264How to use a DOI?
- Vector Quantizer, Codebook design, Clustering algorithm, Data compression
- Generalized Lloyd Algorithm(GLA) is important in vector quantizer design. It runs fast, but it is sensitive to initial conditions and it may find a local optimum. We propose an improved approach based on GLA, named vector quantized codebook reorganization algorithm (VQCRA). VQCRA finds better codebooks in less time, and is insensitive to initial conditions as compared with GLA.. The experiments are performed on the 10 images extracted from USC-SIPI Image Database. The performance improvement ranges from 7.3% (the size of the codebook is 32) to 46.4% (the size of the codebook is 512).
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ting-Wei Hou AU - Houng-Kuo Ku AU - Yuan-Tsung Chen PY - 2006/10 DA - 2006/10 TI - An Improved Vector Quantizer Design Method: the Codebook Reorganization Algorithm BT - 9th Joint International Conference on Information Sciences (JCIS-06) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.264 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.264 ID - Hou2006/10 ER -