90-nm Wideband Optical Amplifier Including an Semiconductor Optical Amplifier and a DCF-based Raman Fiber Amplifier with Gain Clamping and Dispersion Compensation
- Chia-Hsiung Chang 0, Hermann Lin
- Corresponding Author
- Chia-Hsiung Chang
0Department of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science
Available Online October 2006.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.313How to use a DOI?
- Optical Amplifier, DWDM, Raman Amplifier, Semiconductor Optical Amplifier.
- We have experimentally demonstrated the gain-clamped wideband optical amplifier using a DCF-based Raman amplifier and an semiconductor optical amplifier for 90-nm wide bandwidth amplification with good gain flatness (of 3 dB) as well as dispersion compensation of 10Gb/s DWDM signals over 100-km SMF link. The power penalty of 0.4 dB for the gain-clamped amplifier with lasing light at 1508 nm has been achieved as compared with the non-gain-clamped amplifier case. Such gain-clamped light within the SOA suppresses the cross-gain modulation (XGM) effect of the SOA and therefore the XGM-induced power penalty dramatically reduced. This amplifier may play an important role in MAN for high speed and broadband delivery between city interconnection.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Chia-Hsiung Chang AU - Hermann Lin PY - 2006/10 DA - 2006/10 TI - 90-nm Wideband Optical Amplifier Including an Semiconductor Optical Amplifier and a DCF-based Raman Fiber Amplifier with Gain Clamping and Dispersion Compensation BT - 9th Joint International Conference on Information Sciences (JCIS-06) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.313 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/jcis.2006.313 ID - Chang2006/10 ER -