Design and Implementation of an IoT-Based Smart Home Security System
- Mohammad Asadul Hoque1, *, Chad Davidson21Department of Computing, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614, USA2Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA*Corresponding author. Email: email@example.com
- Corresponding Author
- Mohammad Asadul Hoque
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.k.190326.004How to use a DOI?
- Smart home, security, IoT, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, NodeJS, MongoDB, RF transmission
Recent advances in smartphones and affordable open-source hardware platforms have enabled the development of low-cost architectures for Internet-of-Things (IoT)-enabled home automation and security systems. These systems usually consist of sensing and actuating layer that is made up of sensors such as passive infrared sensors, also known as motion sensors; temperature sensors; smoke sensors, and web cameras for security surveillance. These sensors, smart electrical appliances, and other IoT devices connect to the Internet through a home gateway. This paper lays out an architecture for a cost-effective smart door sensor that will inform a user through an Android application, of door open events in a house or office environment. The proposed architecture uses an Arduino-compatible Elegoo Mega 2560 microcontroller board along with the Raspberry Pi 2 board for communicating with a web server that implements a RESTful API. Several programming languages are used in the implementation and further applications of the door sensor are discussed as well as some of its shortcomings such as possible interference from other radio frequency devices.
- © 2019 The Authors. Published by Atlantis Press SARL.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC 4.0 license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Mohammad Asadul Hoque AU - Chad Davidson PY - 2019 DA - 2019/04/16 TI - Design and Implementation of an IoT-Based Smart Home Security System JO - International Journal of Networked and Distributed Computing SP - 85 EP - 92 VL - 7 IS - 2 SN - 2211-7946 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.k.190326.004 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.k.190326.004 ID - Hoque2019 ER -