Edge Detection Based on Improved Sobel Operator
- Chao-Chao Zhang, Jian-Dong Fang
- Corresponding Author
- Chao-Chao Zhang
Available Online November 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.25How to use a DOI?
- sobel operator; binarization; edge detection; edge thinning
- Sobel algorithm is an important method of image edge detection. Comparing the Sobel operator with several other edge detection operators used frequently and making a further study on the classical Sobel operator, the advantages of Sobel operator are its fast detection speed, meanwhile , it has an effect on smoothing and suppressing noise. Also, Sobel operator has a good effect on edge detection. Although Sobel operator has advantages in many aspects, it exists some problems: the Sobel operator is a kind of edge detection in horizontal and vertical direction, so it neglects edge points in other directions. It can not achieve a true detection for the points on image edge. In this paper, the algorithm is based on the Sobel operator, an increase of 45 degrees and 135 degrees 2 direction template, while the main edge of the oblique, re-assigned the weight of the operator template. At the same time, in order to achieve an effect of detection, binarization method is used to make an edge thinning for detected image. According to simulation experiments, they show this method is simple and feasible, and the detective result is more concrete and abundant than traditional Sobel edge detection. Some problems are improved, such as traditional Sobel edge is rough and detection is incomplete.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Chao-Chao Zhang AU - Jian-Dong Fang PY - 2016/11 DA - 2016/11 TI - Edge Detection Based on Improved Sobel Operator BT - 2016 International Conference on Computer Engineering and Information Systems PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.25 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.25 ID - Zhang2016/11 ER -