Russian Public Sector Accounting: The Case of Experimental Estate Konskaya Volya (1893-1905)
- Dmitry Nazarov, Marina Sidorova
- Corresponding Author
- Dmitry Nazarov
Available Online December 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icaat-16.2016.36How to use a DOI?
- Accounting history in Russia, public sector accounting, cameral accounting
- For a long time, the public organizations kept the records using the cameral accounting. Then the evolution of public sector accounting methodology passed several stages in the search for new possibilities of the accounting information systems. From the 18th century the scientists developed the idea of using the double entry bookkeeping (DEB) in the public sector accounting. A synthesis of the two systems (commercial and cameral) would enable to measure the financial position and financial results of public organization and to compare the planned and actual financial results at the same time. The high level of the theoretical studies did not match always the same quality of the accounting practice in all public institutions. The paper describes the case of the educational unit of Novo-Alexandria Institute of Agriculture and Forestry - the experimental estate Konskaya Volya during 1893-1905 years. This case is a negative example of the practical accounting activities and does not correspond to the evolution of theoretical ideas in the public sector accounting. The authors examine the reasons for the slow dissemination of innovative methods of accounting in public institutions in Russia in the late 19th century.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Dmitry Nazarov AU - Marina Sidorova PY - 2016/12 DA - 2016/12 TI - Russian Public Sector Accounting: The Case of Experimental Estate Konskaya Volya (1893-1905) BT - 5th International Conference on Accounting, Auditing, and Taxation (ICAAT 2016) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5428 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icaat-16.2016.36 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icaat-16.2016.36 ID - Nazarov2016/12 ER -