Identification of Delta-Aminolevulinic Acid Dehydratase (ALAD) Gene Polymorphism and Its Association with Anemia in Medical Study Programs and Doctor Profession 2012-2014 Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University
- Moch Rizki Ramadhan, Chris Adhiyanto, Zeti Harriyati
- Corresponding Author
- Moch Rizki Ramadhan
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.19How to use a DOI?
- ALAD; Pb; ARMS-PCR; Anemia
- Delta-Aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD) is an enzyme that catalyzes the condensation of two mollecules Aminolevulinic acid (ALA) to form Monopyrrole phorpobilinogen (PBG) in the pathway for heme synthesis. ALAD gene polymorphism is important for Lead (Pb) metabolism in blood. Recent studies indicated that ALAD gene polymorphism may influence an individual's level of hemoglobin. The purpose of this research is to discover the existance of ALAD gene polymorphism and its association with anemia in Indonesian aldolescent subjects (N=102). All subjects was a medical student of Universitas Islam Negeri Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta grade 2012-2014. The method was used Amplification Refractory Mutation System-PCR (ARMS-PCR). The result showed that 22 subjects (21.6%) had ALAD-1, 71 (69.6%) for ALAD-1/2, and 9 (8.8%) for ALAD-2 genotype. The measurement of hemoglobin levels showed that 41 subjects (40.2%) had normal hemoglobin level and 61 subjects (59.8%) had anemia. Although the measurement of hemoglobin levels showed that anemia was founded with higher frequency in ALAD-1/2 subjects (N=42), we found no significant association between ALAD gene polymorphism and anemia in this study (p-value = 0.908). Further confirmation with a blood lead level measurement is needed.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Moch Rizki Ramadhan AU - Chris Adhiyanto AU - Zeti Harriyati PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Identification of Delta-Aminolevulinic Acid Dehydratase (ALAD) Gene Polymorphism and Its Association with Anemia in Medical Study Programs and Doctor Profession 2012-2014 Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.19 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.19 ID - Ramadhan2017/12 ER -