The Effect of Robusta (Coffea canephora var. Robusta) Coffee Brew on Pulmonary Histopathological Changes in Male Wistar Strain White Rats (Rattus norvegicus)
- Dian Y. Lestaria, Meddy Setiawanb, Lukman Baihaqic
- Corresponding Author
- Dian Y. Lestaria
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.23How to use a DOI?
- Robusta coffee brew; acrylamide; bronchial epithelial cell; hyperplasia; mutation of the gene.
- The acrylamide content in coffee is formed during roasting process. Acrylamide is a carcinogenic substance which allows the occurrence of lung tumors in mice. Acrylamide causes mutations of EGFR and KRAS proto-oncogenes that increase the risk of lung tumors. Objective: This study aimed to prove the effect of robusta (Coffea canephora var. Robusta) coffee brew on pulmonary histopathological changes in male Wistar strain white rats (Rattus norvegicus). This study used a true experimental posttest only control group design. We devided 24 samples of rats into 6 groups; Negative K1, Positive K2 which was given acrylamide, K3, K4, K5 and K6 which were given brewed coffee in a dose of 0.36 ml/200 gBW, 0.72 ml/200 gBW, 1.44 ml/200 gBW, and 2.16 ml/200 gBW respectively. We used One-Way ANOVA, Post Hoc Tukey, Correlation and Regression statistical test method to analyze the data. One-Way ANOVA showed sig. 0.000 (P <0.05) means a significant effect. Tukey test showed sig. (P <0.05) with K4, K5, K6 differ significantly to negative K1 whereas K3 did not differ significantly to negative K1. Pearson correlation test values obtained was 0.882. The strength of the brewed coffee affects 77.7% of normal bronchial epithelial cell hyperplasia. Hyperplasia in this study was occurred because the content of acrylamide in coffee caused mutations of EGFR and KRAS proto-oncogenes. Robusta (Coffea canephora var. Robusta) coffee brew can cause changes in histopathological picture of pulmonary bronchial epithelial cell from male Wistar strain white rats (Rattus norvegicus, Wistar strain)
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Dian Y. Lestaria AU - Meddy Setiawanb AU - Lukman Baihaqic PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - The Effect of Robusta (Coffea canephora var. Robusta) Coffee Brew on Pulmonary Histopathological Changes in Male Wistar Strain White Rats (Rattus norvegicus) BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.23 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.23 ID - Lestaria2017/12 ER -