A framework for sustainability assessment of ICT futures. Scenarios and sustainability impacts of future ICT- societies
- Yevgeniya Arushanyan, Elisabeth Ekener-Petersen, Åsa Moberg, Vlad C. Coroama
- Corresponding Author
- Yevgeniya Arushanyan
Available Online September 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-env-15.2015.1How to use a DOI?
- sustainability assessment, environmental, social, ICT societies, framework, future scenarios
- The rapid development of information and communication technology (ICT) has an influence on all societal sectors and can have both positive and negative consequences. To support ICT for sustainability (ICT4S), we need to learn when and how ICT can enable sustainable development. It is important to take into account all types of potential impacts – environmental and social, direct and indirect. Looking at future ICT societies and their potential environmental and social implications is of special interest, as this can provide valuable knowledge for planning and policy-making today to enable ICT4S. A methodological framework for environmental and social assessment of future ICT societies with a consumption perspective was developed as a part of a joint project with researchers at KTH, ICT industry, municipality and county. The overall goal of the project was to develop five different future scenarios for Swedish ICT societies and to assess the risks and opportunities for environmental and social consequences in those scenarios. This paper presents the framework for environmental and social assessment of future scenarios and discusses the challenges experienced and lessons learned in the process of the framework development. The framework is aimed to deal with a broad and complex object and scope of assessment, the inherent uncertainty and data restrictions of future scenarios, and is applying qualitative analysis.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Yevgeniya Arushanyan AU - Elisabeth Ekener-Petersen AU - Åsa Moberg AU - Vlad C. Coroama PY - 2015/09 DA - 2015/09 TI - A framework for sustainability assessment of ICT futures. Scenarios and sustainability impacts of future ICT- societies BT - EnviroInfo and ICT for Sustainability 2015 PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-env-15.2015.1 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-env-15.2015.1 ID - Arushanyan2015/09 ER -