A systematic review of environmentally conscious product design
- Zhongkai Li, Jorge Marx Gómez, Alexandra Pehlken
- Corresponding Author
- Zhongkai Li
Available Online September 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-env-15.2015.23How to use a DOI?
- product eco-design; design for sustainability (D4S); eco-design software tools; state-of-the-art; eco-friendly products
- Recently environmentally conscious product design (ECPD) is highlighted by research community, because of the global conscious about low carbon emission and sustainable development. ECPD cares about the environmental, social and economic impacts of products during their life cycle phases, with the destination to achieve product life cycle design for sustainability. Furthermore, information and communication technologies are important for the implementation of computer-aided eco-design. The theories, methods, software tools about ECPD during 2005 to 2015 were reviewed in this work. Five most related aspects including product eco-design, design for disassembly (DFD), design for recycling (DFR), material selection (MS), and eco-design software tools were analyzed as related categories. Eco-impact assessment was found to be a pre-step in ECPD followed by product eco-innovation. DFD, DFR, and MS helped to improve the energy efficiency and eco-friendliness of products. Eco-design software tools are focusing on CAD-integration, web-based and knowledge base-based characteristics. More eco-design software tools will be developed in specific industries and to handling products with composite materials.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Zhongkai Li AU - Jorge Marx Gómez AU - Alexandra Pehlken PY - 2015/09 DA - 2015/09 TI - A systematic review of environmentally conscious product design BT - EnviroInfo and ICT for Sustainability 2015 PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-env-15.2015.23 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ict4s-env-15.2015.23 ID - Li2015/09 ER -