Revisiting the formal foundation of Probabilistic Databases
- Brend Wanders, Maurice Van Keulen
- Corresponding Author
- Brend Wanders
Available Online June 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ifsa-eusflat-15.2015.43How to use a DOI?
- Probabilistic databases, probabilistic Datalog, probabilistic relational algebra, formal foundation.
- One of the core problems in soft computing is dealing with uncertainty in data. In this paper, we revisit the formal foundation of a class of probabilistic databases with the purpose to (1) obtain data model independence, (2) separate metadata on uncertainty and probabilities from the raw data, (3) better understand aggregation, and (4) create more opportunities for optimization. The paper presents the formal framework and validates data model independence by showing how to a obtain probabilistic Datalog as well as a probabilistic relational algebra by applying the framework to their non-probabilistic counterparts. We conclude with a discussion on the latter three goals.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Brend Wanders AU - Maurice Van Keulen PY - 2015/06 DA - 2015/06 TI - Revisiting the formal foundation of Probabilistic Databases BT - 2015 Conference of the International Fuzzy Systems Association and the European Society for Fuzzy Logic and Technology (IFSA-EUSFLAT-15) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ifsa-eusflat-15.2015.43 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ifsa-eusflat-15.2015.43 ID - Wanders2015/06 ER -