Defects and Vulnerabilities in Smart Contracts, a Classification using the NIST Bugs Framework
- Wesley Dingman1, Aviel Cohen1, Nick Ferrara1, Adam Lynch1, Patrick Jasinski1, Paul E. Black2, Lin Deng1, *1Department of Computer and Information Sciences, Towson University, 8000 York Road, Towson, MD 21252, USA2Software Quality Group, Systems and Software Division, Information Technology Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 100 Bureau Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 20899, USA*Corresponding author. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Corresponding Author
- Lin Deng
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.k.190710.003How to use a DOI?
- Blockchain, cryptocurrency, bug, smart contract, solidity, ethereum
Rising to popularity in the last decade, blockchain technology has become the preferred platform for the transfer of digital currency. Unfortunately, many of these environments are rife with vulnerabilities exploited by financially motivated attackers. Worse yet, is that a structured analysis and classification of these vulnerabilities is lacking. In this paper, we present the first formal classifications of these vulnerabilities using National Institute of Standards and Technologies Bugs (NIST’S) Framework and propose two new classes: distributed system protocol (DSP) and distributed system resource management (DRM).
- © 2019 The Authors. Published by Atlantis Press SARL.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC 4.0 license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Wesley Dingman AU - Aviel Cohen AU - Nick Ferrara AU - Adam Lynch AU - Patrick Jasinski AU - Paul E. Black AU - Lin Deng PY - 2019 DA - 2019/08 TI - Defects and Vulnerabilities in Smart Contracts, a Classification using the NIST Bugs Framework JO - International Journal of Networked and Distributed Computing SP - 121 EP - 132 VL - 7 IS - 3 SN - 2211-7946 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.k.190710.003 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.k.190710.003 ID - Dingman2019 ER -