Volume 12, Issue 2, August 2013, Pages 129 - 144
The Kumaraswamy Pareto distribution
- Marcelo Bourguignon, Rodrigo B. Silva, Luz M. Zea, Gauss M. Cordeiro
- Corresponding Author
- Marcelo Bourguignon
Available Online 1 August 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/jsta.2013.12.2.1How to use a DOI?
- Hazard function; Kumaraswamy distribution; moments; maximum likelihood estimation; Pareto distribution.
- The modeling and analysis of lifetimes is an important aspect of statistical work in a wide variety of scientific and technological fields. For the first time, the called Kumaraswamy Pareto distribution, is introduced and studied. The new distribution can have a decreasing and upside-down bathtub failure rate function depending on the values of its parameters. It includes as special sub-models the Pareto and exponentiated Pareto (Gupta et al., 1998) distributions. Some structural properties of the proposed distribution are studied including explicit expressions for the moments and generating function. We provide the density function of the order statistics and obtain their moments. The method of maximum likelihood is used for estimating the model parameters and the observed information matrix is derived. A real data set is used to compare the new model with widely known distributions
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Marcelo Bourguignon AU - Rodrigo B. Silva AU - Luz M. Zea AU - Gauss M. Cordeiro PY - 2013 DA - 2013/08 TI - The Kumaraswamy Pareto distribution JO - Journal of Statistical Theory and Applications SP - 129 EP - 144 VL - 12 IS - 2 SN - 2214-1766 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/jsta.2013.12.2.1 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/jsta.2013.12.2.1 ID - Bourguignon2013 ER -