Progress in Chemotherapy of Malignant Bone Tumors
- Rui Jiang, Ziyan Zhang, Han Wu, Chao Zhang
- Corresponding Author
- Rui Jiang
Available Online May 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/asssd-18.2018.40How to use a DOI?
- Bone tumors/ drug therapy; tumor metastasis; prognosis
- In the past 30 years, great progress has been achieved in the treatment of malignant bone tumors, which must be significantly attributed to the application and gradual improvement of chemotherapy, especially the appearance of neo-adjuvant chemotherapy concept and the application of its rules. Represented by osteosarcoma and Ewing’s sarcoma, malignant bone tumors mainly relied on amputation, local wide resection and sufficient radiation therapy before the appearance of chemotherapy, and these conventional therapies often resulted in the lifelong disability of patients and very high local recurrence rate. Moreover, the 5-year survival rate was less than 20%. However, neo-adjuvant chemotherapy brings the hope for patients with malignant bone tumors to keep their extremities and functions, and the 5-year survival rate in foreign countries exceeds 80% , while the 5-year survival rate reported in China also reached 50%~60% . The principles and methods of tumor chemotherapy are concluded from numerous clinical practices, which is divided in the following stages: single-drug adjuvant chemotherapy; multiple-drug combination chemotherapy and chemotherapeutic application of maximum tolerated dose (dose-intensity); application of (adjuvant) chemotherapy during clinical metastasis of disease; application of (neo-adjuvant) chemotherapy prior to other treatment.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Rui Jiang AU - Ziyan Zhang AU - Han Wu AU - Chao Zhang PY - 2018/05 DA - 2018/05 TI - Progress in Chemotherapy of Malignant Bone Tumors BT - 2018 International Conference on Advances in Social Sciences and Sustainable Development (ASSSD 2018) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/asssd-18.2018.40 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/asssd-18.2018.40 ID - Jiang2018/05 ER -