PCV Measurement for Biomass Assessment in Suspension Culture of Insect Cells
- Dong-Chen Liu, Qiu-Ling Xie
- Corresponding Author
- Dong-Chen Liu
Available Online January 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/bst-16.2016.50How to use a DOI?
- PCV measurement, Biomass assessment, Insect cell culture.
- In this study, we present a new approach for biomass assessment in insect cell culture using a disposable microcentrifuge tube, which is composed with an upper chamber for sample loading and a lower 5 L capillary for cell collection during centrifugation. The height of the cell pellet within the capillary is measured and expressed as the packed cell volume (PCV). PCV method showed an excellent correlation with cell counting measurement, but with lower average of the errors (3.3%) compared to manual cell counting (12.4%). PCV method was shown to be statistically reliable and more precise, rapid. And it also demonstrates the potential use of this method to monitor the changes in insect cell culture that can affect cell size, for example as seen under baculovirus infection.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Dong-Chen Liu AU - Qiu-Ling Xie PY - 2016/01 DA - 2016/01 TI - PCV Measurement for Biomass Assessment in Suspension Culture of Insect Cells BT - The International Conference on Biological Sciences and Technology PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5747 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/bst-16.2016.50 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/bst-16.2016.50 ID - Liu2016/01 ER -