Topology Optimization Design and Thermodynamic Analysis of the Missile Engine Support Structure Based on Numerical Simulation and 3D Printing
- Miao-Wen Jiang, Jian-Zhuo Yan
- Corresponding Author
- Miao-Wen Jiang
Available Online November 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.19How to use a DOI?
- numerical simulation; 3D printing; topology optimization; thermodynamic analysis; missile engine support structure
- This paper aims to offer a lightweight design method of the missile engine support structure based on the topology optimization by taking advantage of the computer numerical simulation and 3D printing technology. Taking use of 3D printing in the shape of heterogeneous structures and personalized manufacturing advantages, a design process is proposed including a computer modeling, numerical simulation, 3D printing and engineering verification of the missile engine lightweight structure. Based on the finite element method, a topology optimization algorithm based on the minimum potential energy of structure is proposed. The design methodology has the following aspects: first, the design object needs to complete three-dimensional modeling by a computer aided design (CAD) software (UG); then, the topology optimization model was established by a computer aided analysis (CAE) software (HyperWorks); finally, the topology optimization results are fed back into the design for the final lightweight design model and 3D printing. In terms of analytical verification, the stress and displacement results of the topology optimization model are examined by numerical simulation; this paper uses HyperWorks for thermodynamic numerical simulation; the maximum bearing capacity of the structure is analyzed by engineering test. The experimental results show that this study can achieve the purpose of lightweight in the case of certain constraints, while weight loss effect can reach 11.06%. In addition, 3D printing technology combined with numerical simulation can shorten the development cycle and improve the design efficiency.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Miao-Wen Jiang AU - Jian-Zhuo Yan PY - 2016/11 DA - 2016/11 TI - Topology Optimization Design and Thermodynamic Analysis of the Missile Engine Support Structure Based on Numerical Simulation and 3D Printing BT - 2016 International Conference on Computer Engineering and Information Systems PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.19 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.19 ID - Jiang2016/11 ER -