Study on Reflective Characters of Aircraft Skin Coating Based on Fiber End - face Echoes
- Xiang-Lin Zhan, Wei Zhang, Jing-Chang Zhuge, Shu-Jian Xing
- Corresponding Author
- Xiang-Lin Zhan
Available Online November 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.37How to use a DOI?
- fiber optical sensor; aircraft skin; coatings; reflection characteristic
- Icing on aircraft skin brings a serious risk to aircraft safety. At present, removing ice is usually conducted by spraying deicing fluid. Even so, the ice on the skin cannot be eliminated completely. Therefore, it is needed to find a fast and accurate detection method to detect the location and area of the residual ice on the aircraft skin. Among numerous non-destructive testing methods, optical fiber detection is an effective method. However, the impact of aircraft coatings has not been considered by the existing fiber detection methods. In fact, coatings have great influences on the icing detection result if optical sensors are used. To solve this problem, a fiber end-face echo model based on the dual-flux theory is established, and the reflection characteristics of coatings on aircraft skin are studied in this article. The detection principle of aircraft residual icing based on optical fibers and the model are introduced. Characteristics of aircraft skin coatings and possible impacts on detection of residual ice are described. The reflection law of the fiber end face is discussed. The experiments are carried out and the obtained reflection law of different color painting is validated. The impact of aircraft skin coatings on the aircraft residual ice detection can be effectively eliminated, and the detection accuracy can be improved.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Xiang-Lin Zhan AU - Wei Zhang AU - Jing-Chang Zhuge AU - Shu-Jian Xing PY - 2016/11 DA - 2016/11 TI - Study on Reflective Characters of Aircraft Skin Coating Based on Fiber End - face Echoes BT - 2016 International Conference on Computer Engineering and Information Systems PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.37 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ceis-16.2016.37 ID - Zhan2016/11 ER -