The Gini index and the consistent measurement of inequality among the poor
- Oihana Aristondo, José Luis García-Lapresta, Casilda Lasso De La Vega, Ricardo Alberto Marques Pereira
- Corresponding Author
- Oihana Aristondo
Available Online August 2011.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/eusflat.2011.60How to use a DOI?
- Aggregation functions, OWA operators, Gini index, achievement and shortfall inequality, dual decomposition.
- In several economic fields, such as those related to health, education or poverty, the individuals' characteristics are measured by bounded variables. Accordingly, these characteristics may be indistinctly represented by achievements or shortfalls. A difficulty arises when inequality needs to be assessed. One may focus either on achievements or on shortfalls but the respective inequality rankings may lead to contradictory results. Specifically, this paper concentrates on the poverty measure proposed by Sen. According to this measure the inequality among the poor is captured by the Gini index. However, the rankings obtained by the Gini index applied to either the achievements or the shortfalls do not coincide in general. To overcome this drawback, we show that an OWA operator is underlying in the definition of the Sen measure. The dual decomposition of the OWA operators into a self-dual core and anti-self-dual remainder allows us to propose an inequality component which measures consistently the achievement and shortfall inequality among the poor.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Oihana Aristondo AU - José Luis García-Lapresta AU - Casilda Lasso De La Vega AU - Ricardo Alberto Marques Pereira PY - 2011/08 DA - 2011/08 TI - The Gini index and the consistent measurement of inequality among the poor BT - Proceedings of the 7th conference of the European Society for Fuzzy Logic and Technology PB - Atlantis Press SP - 33 EP - 40 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/eusflat.2011.60 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/eusflat.2011.60 ID - Aristondo2011/08 ER -