Impact of Learning Family Medicine in Community in Preclinical Students of Medical Faculty of University of Riau
- Elda Nazriati, Adi Heru Husodo, Ova Emilia, Tri Nur Kristina
- Corresponding Author
- Elda Nazriati
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.4How to use a DOI?
- Home visit; satisfaction; doctor-patient communication
- WHO recommends for training students in family settings, but its implementation is still challenging. This study was aimed to evaluate learning in family setting with home visit model. One hundred and ten preclinical students of sixth semester were participated in this study. A post-test only control group design was performed to compare the impact of teaching family medicine using home visit model and a combination of lecture and lab exercises. Outputs were assessed using a questionnaire, communication skill test, written test, and focus group discussions. Data were analyzed qualitatively and quantitatively. Students' satisfaction were higher among students learning through home visits model, The doctor-patient communication skills of family medicine approach showed no significant difference between the two study groups but the qualitative data showed positive impact in communication skills of the home visit groups. The ability to plan management of patients with a family medicine approach among home visits groups was significantly higher, Several themes related to home visits that require attention include the advantages, learning experiences, feasibility and challenges of home visit. Home visit method trains students about patient physician communication as well as explore the aspects of social behavior through the observation of house, family, and environment. It also provides a good understanding of the psychosocial and medical aspects for the treatment of chronic diseases, and increases empathy in students. Home visits improved preclinical students' satisfaction and ability in planning patient management with family medicine approach.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Elda Nazriati AU - Adi Heru Husodo AU - Ova Emilia AU - Tri Nur Kristina PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Impact of Learning Family Medicine in Community in Preclinical Students of Medical Faculty of University of Riau BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.4 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.4 ID - Nazriati2017/12 ER -