Indoor Air Quality And Symptoms of Acute Respiratory Infection In Children Under Five In Marunda Public Flats North Jakarta
- Sonia Nur Anggraeni, Dewi Utami Iriani
- Corresponding Author
- Sonia Nur Anggraeni
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.16How to use a DOI?
- Acute Respiratory Infection; Public Flats; Infant
- Acute Respiratory Infection (ARI) is an environment-based disease caused by poor air quality. According to WHO, 1.9 million children die from ARI each year. Indonesia is the fifth country with the highest ARI occurrence in the world. One of the factors that influence the symptom of ARI in infants is indoor air quality. Indoor air quality are influenced by several factors such as, environmental factors inside and outside the home and the behavior of residents. This study aims to determine the description of environmental factors in the home with the symptom of ARI in infants at Marunda Flats, North Jakarta. Environmental factors that will be studied are temperature and humidity in the children's room and occupancy density. This research is descriptive study with quantitative approach. The design is cross sectional with 185 infants as samples. This research is conducted from April to July 2017 and located in Marunda Public Flats, North Jakarta. The results of this study indicate that the proportion of ARI symptom complaints in infants at 28,1%. The percentage of unsuitable air temperature and humidity are 44,9% and 84,3% respectively. The percentage of uncertain occupancy density is 85,9%. Most of the respondent have the good habit of opening a window with percentage 66,4%. Respondents who have family members as smokers are 67,6%. Factors that are significantly related to ARI symptoms in infants in this study is indoor air humidity (P value < 0.05). It is suggested for public flats resident to maintain the plants on their balcony and flats should not be occupied by more than three people. The results of this study can be used as a basis for further research in public flats.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Sonia Nur Anggraeni AU - Dewi Utami Iriani PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Indoor Air Quality And Symptoms of Acute Respiratory Infection In Children Under Five In Marunda Public Flats North Jakarta BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.16 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.16 ID - NurAnggraeni2017/12 ER -