Improving Knowledge on The Prevention of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever Among Elementary School Students in Jakarta, Indonesia: A Quasi Experimental Study
- Narila M Nasir, Baequni Baequni
- Corresponding Author
- Narila M Nasir
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.28How to use a DOI?
- Knowledge; Prevention; Dengue; Student
- Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) remains as one of major public health problems in Indonesia. During the years, Jakarta has become the province with high number of DHF cases. To reduce the cases, DHF prevention initiative can be done through health education. The objective of this study was to assess the knowledge of elementary school students in Jakarta, Indonesia on the prevention of DHF by giving the health education as the intervention. A quasi experimental study with pre and post-test design was carried out among 5th and 6th grades of elementary school students in 21 schools in Jakarta region. Seven schools received poster intervention and other 7 schools received flip chart intervention, while 7 schools were determined as the control group. Data from 630 students were collected to be analyzed during the study. The result showed that the students in the intervention groups had the likelihood to improve their knowledge 2.415 times (95% confidence interval: 1.620 – 3.601) for poster presentation and 1.527 times (95% confidence interval: 1.038 – 2.246) for flip chart when it was compared to the students who did not received any intervention (control group). Although both interventions (poster and flip chart) have indicated the significant effect in increasing overall knowledge, but implementing health education through poster was more effective than flip chart to spread information among students. The students had a good knowledge on control measures to prevent DHF, but still need more improvement about action to tackle DHF patient in early stage of DHF symptoms such as caring and seeking health care. In conclusion, providing health education such as poster and flip chart to the elementary school students as one of the vulnerable group to DHF might be beneficial for the prevention of DHF.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Narila M Nasir AU - Baequni Baequni PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Improving Knowledge on The Prevention of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever Among Elementary School Students in Jakarta, Indonesia: A Quasi Experimental Study BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.28 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.28 ID - Nasir2017/12 ER -