The Effect of Ethanolic Extract of Olive (Olea europea L.) Leaves on BALB/c Mice
- Nurul Hiedayati, Nurlaely M. Rachmawati, Riva Auda, M. Iqbal Dzaki, Nihayatul Kamila, Aris Purnomo
- Corresponding Author
- Nurul Hiedayati
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.29How to use a DOI?
- Acute toxicity; olive leaves
- Olives has been mentioned in holly books, Quran and Bible, as medicinal and good nutritional food. People using it as a herbal medicine for centuries. However, we concern about its toxicity to some organs tissues. In this study, we observed histopathological changes on stomach, liver and kidney tissues of BALB/c mice after administrated with ethanolic extract of olive leaves (OLE). Male BALB/c mice were divided into three groups. Each group subsequently orally administrated with phosphate buffer saline (group-I), or OLE (100 mg/kg (group-II); 200 mg/kg (group-III)) for ten consecutive days before necropsy. Mice were sacrificed next day and stomach, liver and kidney tissue were observed for histopathological changes using hematoxyline-eosin. Observation using Corel Photo PX7. Stomach mucosal epithelial damage were 1.9%, 3.2% and 1.7%, hepatocyte damages were 40%, 38.1%, 63,1%, Glomerular atrophy were 11.5%, 9.9% and 11,5%, kidney tissue bleeding area were 3.7%, 3.1%, 4.1% in group-I, -II and –III respectively. Ethanolic extract of local olive leaves have mucoprotective activity on stomach tissues, but at 200 mg/kg have a toxic effect on mice liver and kidney tissues.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Nurul Hiedayati AU - Nurlaely M. Rachmawati AU - Riva Auda AU - M. Iqbal Dzaki AU - Nihayatul Kamila AU - Aris Purnomo PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - The Effect of Ethanolic Extract of Olive (Olea europea L.) Leaves on BALB/c Mice BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.29 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.29 ID - Hiedayati2017/12 ER -