Screening of ß-Globin Gene Mutations in Adolescent Schoolgirls in Rural Malang and Sukabumi City, Java Province, Indonesia
- Chris Adhiyanto, Yanti Susianti, Nurlaely M Rahmawati, Fase Badriah, Zeti Harriati, Raisha Raisha, Ajeng RS Putri, Asry Nurvitasari, Umi Fahmida, Annasari Mustafa
- Corresponding Author
- Chris Adhiyanto
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.47How to use a DOI?
- thalassemia; anemia in adolescents; Malang; Sukabumi; Indonesia; CD26, and IVS1nt
- Anemia is one of the major health problems in Indonesia. In general, the condition occurs because of iron deficiency. Another major factor that causes anemia in Indonesia is thalassemia. Usually, the thalassemia patient comes with severe anemia for treatment. Since thalassemia is a genetic disorder, it is necessary to know how to prevent and reduce the incidence. The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of thalassemia trait, ß-globin gene mutants among adolescent schoolgirls in rural Malang area and Sukabumi City. The early detection of thalassemia will encourage early counseling and treatment. The result of this study found that among 180 adolescent schoolgirls from Malang and Sukabumi, 22 were carrying thalassemic ß-globin genes with asymptomatic to mild anemic conditions. Only one of the students had symptoms of intermediate thalassemia. The polymorphism encountered was CD26 in Malang and IVS1nt5 in Sukabumi City.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Chris Adhiyanto AU - Yanti Susianti AU - Nurlaely M Rahmawati AU - Fase Badriah AU - Zeti Harriati AU - Raisha Raisha AU - Ajeng RS Putri AU - Asry Nurvitasari AU - Umi Fahmida AU - Annasari Mustafa PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Screening of ß-Globin Gene Mutations in Adolescent Schoolgirls in Rural Malang and Sukabumi City, Java Province, Indonesia BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.47 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.47 ID - Adhiyanto2017/12 ER -