Hemoglobin E Allele Screening in Adolescent Girls at Kepanjen and Gondanglegi Districts, Malang Regency, East Java-Indonesia
- Nadira R Batubara, Chris Adhiyanto, Umi Fahmida, Hans-Joachim Freisleben
- Corresponding Author
- Nadira R Batubara
Available Online December 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.48How to use a DOI?
- -thalassemia, hemoglobin E, HbE/+-thalassemia
- Woman in reproductive age have higher risk of iron deficiency anemia. However, there are other factors than iron deficiency that can cause anemia, such as genetic blood disorders or hemoglobinopathies. Hemoglobin E (HbE) is one of common blood disorders in Indonesia. HbE carriers have higher risk to have offspring inheriting HbE double mutation with other kinds of mild or severe -thalassemia. This research has the purpose to determine allele frequency of HbE in adolescent girls in Kepanjen and Gondanglegi districts, Malang regency. The research started with hematological screening of venous blood samples from the participants. As many as 70 blood samples underwent DNA sequencing to detect the mutation. From the sequencing results, there were 8 individuals detected with HbE single mutation and one individual with HbE/+-thalassemia double mutation. The individual with HbE/+-thalassemia had a hemoglobin level of 7.5 g/dL and mean corpuscular volume (MCV) of 59 m3 indicating moderately severe HbE/+-thalassemia. The clinical picture is caused by double mutation, one at codon 26 (HbE) and the other one at IVS1-5 (+-thalassemia). Both mutations cause disturbance in the pre-mRNA splicing process resulting in non-functional mRNA and a decrease in normal -globin (N) production along with higher production rate of E-mutated -globin (E). HbE allele frequency in adolescent girls in Kepanjen and Gondanglegi districts is 20%.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Nadira R Batubara AU - Chris Adhiyanto AU - Umi Fahmida AU - Hans-Joachim Freisleben PY - 2017/12 DA - 2017/12 TI - Hemoglobin E Allele Screening in Adolescent Girls at Kepanjen and Gondanglegi Districts, Malang Regency, East Java-Indonesia BT - 1st International Integrative Conference on Health, Life and Social Sciences (ICHLaS 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.48 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ichlas-17.2017.48 ID - Batubara2017/12 ER -