A Study on the Mechanisms of American Students’ Participation in University Governance
- Zhiqiang Wang, Ruizhong Zhang
- Corresponding Author
- Zhiqiang Wang
Available Online May 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icmete-19.2019.29How to use a DOI?
- University governance; Student participation; American universities; Student government
- By analyzing the constitutional texts of several American universities, this paper finds that the mechanisms of American students’ participation in university governance including financial independence mechanism, personnel independence mechanism, information disclosure mechanism, information exchange mechanism, power balance mechanism and representative participation mechanism. The coordinated operation of the above-mentioned mechanisms strongly supports and guarantees the participation of American college students in University governance. Although American students have rich experience in university governance, there are still some problems, such as whether students enjoy decision-making power, the implementation effect is not obvious, and system model is not uniform. Thus, American students’ participation in university governance still further needs to be explored and practiced.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Zhiqiang Wang AU - Ruizhong Zhang PY - 2019/05 DA - 2019/05 TI - A Study on the Mechanisms of American Students’ Participation in University Governance BT - 2019 International Conference on Management, Education Technology and Economics (ICMETE 2019) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5428 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icmete-19.2019.29 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icmete-19.2019.29 ID - Wang2019/05 ER -