Local Wisdom: Local Paddy Breeding Through Farming Revenue Analysis Approach (Case Study: Indramayu Regency, West Java)
- Lilis Imamah Ichdayati, Rizki Adi Puspita Sari
- Corresponding Author
- Lilis Imamah Ichdayati
Available Online August 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.3How to use a DOI?
- Paddy seeds, Revenue, Total cost, Local wisdom
- Farmer’s aptitude on paddy breeding developed through Participatory Plant Breeding School (Sekolah Lapang Pemuliaan Tanaman Partisipatoris/SLPTP) was shown by reemerging of local paddy varieties. From 2002 up to 2010, Indramayu breeder farmers have succesfully created 400 varieties of paddy seeds which some of them having local superiority. This succesfulness had attracted other surrounding farmers to cultive those local paddy varieties in larger areas which eventually generated economic impact to the breeder farmer and others. Creativity of breeder farmer protected by Decision of MKRI No 99/PUU-X/2012, therefore their seeds and unhulled rice (gabah) are able to be sell off to their community. This research aimed (1) to analyze the revenue of paddy farming of breeder farmer and market share of paddy grain/unhulled rice (gabah) and local rice in Indramayu District; (2) to cognize local wisdom content on the implementation of environmental friendly and sustainable rice paddy farming. Research conducted in Indramayu District. Breeder farmers in 13 districts of local paddy centers taken as samples through purposive sampling technique. Primary data obtained from interview guided by questionnaire from July to August 2016. Tools of analysis used were revenue analysis and descriptive analysis related to local wisdom in rice paddy farming. Results of the research are as follows : (1) Breeder farmers gained major profit both from retrenchment of input cost (local seeds, organic fertilizers, organic pesticides) and enhancement of paddy productivity on the average of 66 quintal/hectares. Traders gave credence on paddy qualities by purchasing it on higher price with the result that higher profit acquired. Obstacles faced are annually climb up of rent expense on paddy fields and labor cost (farm workers) which increasingly rare and hereinafter contributed as highest portion of farming cost, reaching approximately 52 to 67% of it. (2) Local wisdom emerging in social institutions of paddy farming such as dissemination of breeding output by way of inter-farmer seeds exchange, ‘bawon’ wage payment system for ‘ceblokan’, ‘nderep sawah’ and ‘arisan padi’ (regular social gathering) activities are figuration of ‘gotong royong’ (mutual cooperation) organizing customs of Indramayu. For breeder farmers, awareness have arised on the meaning of paddy farming aside from economical, ecological and social sense : it constitute life itself.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Lilis Imamah Ichdayati AU - Rizki Adi Puspita Sari PY - 2017/08 DA - 2017/08 TI - Local Wisdom: Local Paddy Breeding Through Farming Revenue Analysis Approach (Case Study: Indramayu Regency, West Java) BT - International Conference on Science and Technology (ICOSAT 2017) - Promoting Sustainable Agriculture, Food Security, Energy, and Environment Through Science and Technology for Development PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.3 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.3 ID - Ichdayati2017/08 ER -