Characterization of Chemical Constituent and Antibacterial Activity of Honje Fruit Skin (Etlingera elatior)
- Dede Sukandar, Ms Fitriyanti, Eka Rizki Amelia, Adi Riyadhi, Ramma Nur Azizah
- Corresponding Author
- Dede Sukandar
Available Online August 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.6How to use a DOI?
- Essential oil, Etlingera elatior, Gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy, Antibacterial activity
- Characteristic of chemical constituent and antibacterial property from Etlingera elatior fruit have been carried out. Essential oil of plant was extracted using steam and water distillation and then analyzed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Antibacterial activity of the essential oil was done through disc diffusion method against Bacillus cereus, Staphylococcus aureus, Eschericia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Percentage yield of essential oil was about 0,09% (v/w). The GC-MS profile revealed that E. elatior contained 35 compounds where 1-dodecanol, dodecanal and trans-caryophyllene were predicted to be main components. The oil showed activity against B. Cereus, S. Aureus, E. Coli, and P. aeruginosa with zone of inhibition were about 25, 15.2, 11.67 and 12.33 mm respectively.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Dede Sukandar AU - Ms Fitriyanti AU - Eka Rizki Amelia AU - Adi Riyadhi AU - Ramma Nur Azizah PY - 2017/08 DA - 2017/08 TI - Characterization of Chemical Constituent and Antibacterial Activity of Honje Fruit Skin (Etlingera elatior) BT - International Conference on Science and Technology (ICOSAT 2017) - Promoting Sustainable Agriculture, Food Security, Energy, and Environment Through Science and Technology for Development PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.6 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.6 ID - Sukandar2017/08 ER -