Determinants of Paddy Fields Conversion in Java Island, Indonesia
- Edmon Daris, Iwan Aminudin, Adhitya Feriansyah
- Corresponding Author
- Edmon Daris
Available Online August 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.22How to use a DOI?
- Land conversion, Rice Field, Rice, Java Island
- Rice is a main staple food of Indonesia. Availability of rice is not separated from Java island as the largest rice supplier in Indonesia. Almost 52% of Indonesia's rice production is produced on the Java island. However, production growth is only 0,7% given the increasing number of people. One of the causes is the increasing land conversion over the past 7 years. This study aims to 1) to identify how much land conversion in Java island from 1994 to 2014, 2) to analyze what factors affect the conversion of paddy fields in Java island, and 3) to calculate the impact of paddy field conversion on paddy production and economic value of farmer job for 21 years in Java island. The results indicate that during the period of 1994 to 2014, Java island experienced a conversion of rice fields of 1.2 million hectares or about 60 thousand hectares per year. Productivity of paddy rice, economic growth (GRDP), length of asphalt road, and population growth have significant effect on the conversion of paddy fields in Java island. For 21 years, Java island has lost the opportunity to produce rice by 6.7 million tons with a value of Rp 24,282 trillion rupiah.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Edmon Daris AU - Iwan Aminudin AU - Adhitya Feriansyah PY - 2017/08 DA - 2017/08 TI - Determinants of Paddy Fields Conversion in Java Island, Indonesia BT - International Conference on Science and Technology (ICOSAT 2017) - Promoting Sustainable Agriculture, Food Security, Energy, and Environment Through Science and Technology for Development PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.22 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.22 ID - Daris2017/08 ER -