Development of a Gemstone Type Identification System Based on HSV Space Colour Using an Artificial Neural Network Back Propagation Algorithm
- Ismatul Maula, Victor Amrizal, Anif Hanifa Setianingrum, Nashrul Hakiem
- Corresponding Author
- Ismatul Maula
Available Online August 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.24How to use a DOI?
- Image processing, Artificial Neural Network, back propagation, gemstone, HSV space colour.
- A gemstone is a mineral stone that be formed from the result of geological processes and has a hardness above 7 Mohs. Nowadays, gemstones have become famous in Indonesian society. Many facts concerning the business of gemstone rings, including encouragement by the the central government for the gemstone souvenirs that are given to State guests by the President of Indonesia, gemstone contests and gemstone exhibitions have all contributed to pique the interest of researchers in the subject. This current research is undertaken to create a system that is able to identify three kinds of gemstone, namely, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald using the Hue Saturation Value (HSV) colour space, image processing techniques and an Artificial Neural Network (ANN) back propagation algorithm by learning from examples. The hue from the HSV colour space of a gemstone will be used by the system for training. In the image processing, the system will crop, resize, convert from RGB to HSV, obtain a Hue colour and extract the colour as a 30x3 matrix. The extracted result will be used to train an ANN consisting of three input layers, three hidden layers and one output layer with targets that have been pre-determined. The results of the tests showed a degree of accuracy of 90.66% with 5 times of training and 25 times of testing on any type of gemstone. The result shows that using Artificial Neural Network Back Propagation in identification gemstone types is success, because the accuracy system has a highest percentage.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ismatul Maula AU - Victor Amrizal AU - Anif Hanifa Setianingrum AU - Nashrul Hakiem PY - 2017/08 DA - 2017/08 TI - Development of a Gemstone Type Identification System Based on HSV Space Colour Using an Artificial Neural Network Back Propagation Algorithm BT - International Conference on Science and Technology (ICOSAT 2017) - Promoting Sustainable Agriculture, Food Security, Energy, and Environment Through Science and Technology for Development PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.24 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.24 ID - Maula2017/08 ER -