The viability of Phanerochaete chrysosporium inoculant in gamma-irradiated-compost carrier and its biosorption efficiencies for Cd (II) and Cr (VI)
- Megga Ratnasari Pikoli, Ida Farida, Tri Retno Dyah Larasati, Nana Mulyana
- Corresponding Author
- Megga Ratnasari Pikoli
Available Online August 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.33How to use a DOI?
- Phanerochaete chrysosporium, Biosorption, Inoculant carrier, Cadmium, Chromium
- Phanerochaete chrysosporium is a well-known fungus that can be used as a heavy metal biosorbent. Its application as an inoculant requires a suitable carrier material. This study aims to obtain formula of solid carrier material which maintains the viability and quality of this fungus as biosorbent of Cd (II) and Cr (VI). The carrier bases are carboxymethyl cellulose and talk, which are then varied by the addition of compost and charcoal husk. The carriers were treated by gamma-irradiation of 25 kGy and autoclaved by 121°C, and examined after 28 days of storage. The data were analyzed by analysis of variance with 95% level of significance. The results showed that gamma-irradiation was able to sterilize the carrier until the microorganism was not detected anymore, without altering its characteristics significantly, while microbial growth was found from those sterilized by the autoclave. The carrier can significantly maintain the viability of the fungus for 28 days. The highest biosorption efficiency of Cd occurred in the treatment with the addition of compost alone, i.e. 84% by irradiation and 86% by autoclave sterilization. Similarly, the highest biosorption efficiency of Cr occurred in the treatment with the addition of compost alone, i.e.70% by irradiation and 69% by autoclave, as well as 72% with the addition of irradiated compost and charcoal husk. It was concluded that P. chrysosporium in the irradiated carrier is able to maintain its viability and absorb Cd (II) and Cr (VI) efficiently.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Megga Ratnasari Pikoli AU - Ida Farida AU - Tri Retno Dyah Larasati AU - Nana Mulyana PY - 2017/08 DA - 2017/08 TI - The viability of Phanerochaete chrysosporium inoculant in gamma-irradiated-compost carrier and its biosorption efficiencies for Cd (II) and Cr (VI) BT - International Conference on Science and Technology (ICOSAT 2017) - Promoting Sustainable Agriculture, Food Security, Energy, and Environment Through Science and Technology for Development PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.33 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosat-17.2018.33 ID - Pikoli2017/08 ER -