The Evaluation of Antibiotic Use in Adult Patients With Pneumonia
- Indriastuti Cahyaningsih, Riska Aulia
- Corresponding Author
- Indriastuti Cahyaningsih
Available Online October 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.11How to use a DOI?
- Pneumonia, Antibiotics, Indonesian Internal Medicine Specialist Association
- Pneumonia is one of the most common forms of upper respiratory tract infection. Currently pneumonia is the third leading cause of death in Indonesia and the sixth cause of death in the world. One of the therapies used for pneumonia is antibiotics, but inappropriate use of antibiotics can cause resistance and also less effective treatment. This study aims to evaluate the use of antibiotics in pneumonia patients at the inpatient installation of PKU Muhammadiyah Bantul Hospital based on guidelines from the Association of Indonesian Internal Medicine Specialists in 2010. This research is a descriptive non-experimental observational design with retrospective data collection in the period January - December 2016 and taken in total sampling from 32 medical records of adult pneumonia patients in inpatient care at PKU Muhammadiyah Hospital, Bantul. Data was processed descriptively and compared with the guidelines from Indonesian Internal Medicine Specialist Association. The results showed that there were 32 patients who entered the inclusion criteria with 9 types of antibiotics prescribed with conformity with the Indonesian Internal Medicine Specialist Association guidelines as much as 83.34% (Azithromycin, cefotaxime, ceftazidim, ceftriaxone, ciprofloxacin, gentamicin, levofloxacin). The most widely used single antibiotic therapy in PKU Muhammadiyah Bantul Hospital in 2016 was levofloxacin, 42.85%, and the most widely used combination antibiotic therapy was a combination of azithromycin and ceftriaxone 48.00%. The conclusion is that prescribing antibiotics in pneumonia patients in PKU Muhammadiyah Bantul Hospital is not entirely in accordance with the Indonesian Internal Medicine Specialist Association guidelines.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Indriastuti Cahyaningsih AU - Riska Aulia PY - 2019/10 DA - 2019/10 TI - The Evaluation of Antibiotic Use in Adult Patients With Pneumonia BT - Third International Conference on Sustainable Innovation 2019 – Health Science and Nursing (IcoSIHSN 2019) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.11 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.11 ID - Cahyaningsih2019/10 ER -