Psychometric Testing of Instrument for Assessment of Nursing Students Professional Behavior in Indonesia
- Wulan Noviani, Chong Mei Chan, Tang Li Yoong
- Corresponding Author
- Wulan Noviani
Available Online October 2019.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.26How to use a DOI?
- Assessment, nursing student, professional behavior, validation
- Professional behavior is a crucial aspect of nursing career success as professional nurses. Nursing education plays an essential role to educate the nursing student to manage the complex demand in health care environment accordingly. However, the instrument to measure professional behavior among nursing student remains scarce. The aim of research are to adapt and validate the Nursing Students Professional Behavior Scale (NSPBS) and measure professional behavior among Indonesian nursing students. The original instrument (27 items) was translated using the translation guideline by the World Health Organization (WHO) (2018). The total sample was 364 nursing students from Bachelor-level nursing school at the private university in Yogyakarta (Indonesia). The inclusion criteria were the students already been to clinical practice in the hospital. The data collected from August to September 2018. A Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA) using Partial Least Square (PLS)-Structural Equation Modelling (SEM) was conducted to evaluate the validity and reliability. The finding was fitted for the three-dimensions which were included in healthcare practice, activity practice, and reporting. The face validity and content validity was evaluated by six experts. The CFA showed the excellent result with factor-loadings varying from 0.70 to 0.96 for the constructs. While the composite reliability (CR) for all latent constructs ranged from 0.90 to 0.96, which means that the internal consistency reliability was high. The Indonesian version of NSPBS remained with 27 items and was tested to be a valid and reliable tool to measure the professional behavior of nursing students. The instrument will be useful for nurse educators to monitor the development of student nurses’ professionalism in clinical practice.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Wulan Noviani AU - Chong Mei Chan AU - Tang Li Yoong PY - 2019/10 DA - 2019/10 TI - Psychometric Testing of Instrument for Assessment of Nursing Students Professional Behavior in Indonesia BT - Third International Conference on Sustainable Innovation 2019 – Health Science and Nursing (IcoSIHSN 2019) PB - Atlantis Press UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.26 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/icosihsn-19.2019.26 ID - Noviani2019/10 ER -