Management of Acute (Primary) Herpetic Gingivostomatitis in Immunocompetent Adult Patient: A Case Report
- Andi Anggun Mauliana Putri, Febrina Rahmayanti
- Corresponding Author
- Andi Anggun Mauliana Putri
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.9How to use a DOI?
- Acute (primary) herpetic gingivostomatitis, immunocompetent, adult
- Acute (primary) herpetic gingivostomatitis (AHGS) is the most common form of HSV-1 infection in the oral cavity. These infections are reported mostly in children, usually localized and asymptomatic but in adult patients and immunocompromised conditions tend to be more severe, last longer, and can lead to systemic viremia. Case: A 46-year-old male patient came to RSGM FKG UI with a complaint of painful sore mouth, especially on the tongue since 5 days ago with previous history of fever. Patients feel pain around the head and while swallowing. On the examination, there were multiple ulcers at the gingival margin, interdental papillae, mucobuccofold, lateral of tongue, and also marginal gingivitis. Based on anamnesis, clinical and laboratory examination, he was diagnosed with AHGS. Case Management: He was prescribed chlorhexidine gluconate 0.2% mouthwash and multivitamin. He was advised to increase fluid intake, nutritious food, adequate rest to minimize the duration and the severity of symptoms. He was also instructed to improve the oral hygiene and encouraged to restrict direct contact to prevent transmission. Complete healing was seen in the next visit. Conclusion: Acute (primary) herpetic gingivostomatitis can be found in all age groups, including adult and elders. Clinical features of multiple ulcers and erythematous of gingival margins can be a pathognomonic sign of this condition. Primary HSV-1 infection usually manifests in the oral cavity so it is important for the dentist to recognize the disease to prevent misdiagnosis and provide appropriate management to the patient.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Andi Anggun Mauliana Putri AU - Febrina Rahmayanti PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Management of Acute (Primary) Herpetic Gingivostomatitis in Immunocompetent Adult Patient: A Case Report BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.9 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.9 ID - AnggunMaulianaPutri2018/02 ER -