Effectivity of Lime Peel Decoction (Citrus Aurantifolia Swingle) on Osteoblast and Osteoclast Numbers in the Process of Bone Healing Post-Extraction on White Rat (Rattus Norvegicus) Wistar Strain
- Azimah Nurin Nafilah, Nurul Istichomah
- Corresponding Author
- Azimah Nurin Nafilah
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.14How to use a DOI?
- Decoction of lime peel (Citrus aurantifolia Swingle, osteoblast, osteoclast, denture, remodeling
- Prolong teeth loss due to dental extraction causes interference with the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ), speech impairment and psychological aspects of aesthetics. For the fulfillment of general, dental and oral health, denture is needed to maintain necessary function of chewing. Generally, after tooth extraction, the patient will inquire the duration needed for denture fabrication, because the bone healing process takes a long time, so the denture fabrication is delayed. The current solution is the usage of chemical drugs to cope with injuries which have side effects, it is necessary to innovate the development of herbal medicine that can accelerate healing of bones. Potential herbal remedies include lime peel decoction (Citrus aurantifolia Swingle). Post-extraction wound healing consists of inflammatory stage, repair stage, and remodeling stage. For denture fabrication, the socket or periodontal tissue must go through the remodeling phase to obtain strong and retentive bone support. Remodeling phase indicators include osteoblasts and osteoclasts. The bone will undergo continuously dynamic process of remodeling, where osteoblasts play a role in formation and osteoclasts in resorption. Citrus aurantifolia Swingle contains flavonoid and vitamin C can inhibit differentiation of osteoclasts so as to have an effect on increasing number of osteoblasts and accelerate the occurrence of bone healing. The extracted lime peel decoction was given to white rat (Rattus norvegicus) for 21 days and observes osteoblast and osteoclast cells. Lime peel decoction (Citrus aurantifolia Swingle) is effective towards post-extraction bone healing in white rats (Rattus norvegicus) wistar strains.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Azimah Nurin Nafilah AU - Nurul Istichomah PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Effectivity of Lime Peel Decoction (Citrus Aurantifolia Swingle) on Osteoblast and Osteoclast Numbers in the Process of Bone Healing Post-Extraction on White Rat (Rattus Norvegicus) Wistar Strain BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.14 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.14 ID - NurinNafilah2018/02 ER -