Prediction of Regulatory Networks of PITX2 Gene Expression in Mandibular Asymmetry Related to Oral Muscle Function
- Ervina Sofyanti, Trelia Boel, Tiar Pratamawati, Elza Ibrahim Auerkari
- Corresponding Author
- Ervina Sofyanti
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.24How to use a DOI?
- PITX2 gene, mandibular asymmetry, oral muscle, neuromuscular
- The teeth, muscles (associated nerves) and joints are considered as an interdependent unit in neuromuscular dentistry component. The embryonic development of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) differs considerably from other synovial joints. Condylar cartilage is an important site of mandibular growth and it forms part of the TMJ. The issue of occlusal characteristics asymmetry related to (TMJ) function and poor posture still remains debatable in neuromuscular dentistry. Recent studies reported that gene expression of specific growth factors and other signaling molecules have been involved in condylar growth. PITX2 is an active gene in the nodal pathway that determines left-right asymmetry in vertebrae during embryogenesis and expressed in satellite cells of adult human skeletal muscle. There were several mechanisms by which PITX2 isoforms may interact to both activate and repress gene expression in brain, craniofacial region, and pituitary. The effects of asymmetric nodal pathway gene expression are well documented in embryonic development for first branchial arch structures differences as potential candidate genes for facial asymmetry. Overall, a molecular basis for differential gene regulation through the expression of PITX2 gene isoform can provide genetic differences in oral muscle function when mandibular asymmetry is present or absent in skeletal malocclusion. This paper aims to help the clinician in understanding the biomolecular site that contribute in unique features of mandibular asymmetry related to oral muscle function.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Ervina Sofyanti AU - Trelia Boel AU - Tiar Pratamawati AU - Elza Ibrahim Auerkari PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Prediction of Regulatory Networks of PITX2 Gene Expression in Mandibular Asymmetry Related to Oral Muscle Function BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.24 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.24 ID - Sofyanti2018/02 ER -