The Effect of Immersed Heat Cured Acrylic Resin Denture Base in Chlorhexidin and Extract of Roselle Flower towards Color Stability
- Mohammad Zulkarnain, Putri Angelyna
- Corresponding Author
- Mohammad Zulkarnain
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.47How to use a DOI?
- Denture base, heat cured acrylic resin, disinfectant, color stability
- The most commonly used denture base material is heat cured acrylic resin. This material possesses chemical properties, such as color stability. Discoloration of the denture base can be caused by the use of disinfectant solution on daily basis. This is caused by the characteristic of acrylic resin which absorbs water over long contact times with solutions. The most common disinfectant solution used is chlorhexidine gluconate 0.2%. But, nowadays there are a lot of natural substances that could be used as alternatives to chemical substances such as roselle flower. This is a laboratory experimental study using cylinder shape sample with diameter of 50 ± 0.1mm and 0.5 ± 0.1 mm. The total of 60 samples is classified to 12 groups. The result shows significant result in discoloration with the usage of Chlorhexidine gluconate 0,2% in 1 year (92 hours), 2 years (183 hours), and 3 years (274 hours) with p=0.01 (p<0.05), p=0.001 (p<0.05), p=0.001 (p<0.05), and the roselle flower group in 3 years (183 hours) with p=0.021 (p<0.05). This study shows significant effect between time of usage to discoloration in acrylic resin groups that are soaked with the extract of roselle flower in 1 year (61 hours), 2 years (122 hours), and 3 years (183 hours) of contact with p = 0.025. Roselle's extract of 40% can be used as natural disinfectant solution of heat cured acrylic resin.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Mohammad Zulkarnain AU - Putri Angelyna PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - The Effect of Immersed Heat Cured Acrylic Resin Denture Base in Chlorhexidin and Extract of Roselle Flower towards Color Stability BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.47 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.47 ID - Zulkarnain2018/02 ER -