Depiction of Post-Odontectomy Pain Levels in Universitas Sumatera Utara Hospital Period of February-March 2017
- Rahmi Syaflida, Hera Ismayani Sugianto
- Corresponding Author
- Rahmi Syaflida
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.62How to use a DOI?
- Odontectomy, pain levels, healing process of extraction socket
- Odontectomy is one of the most common minor surgery performed in dentistry. Every patients will experience postoperative pain after odontectomy. Pain is subjective, each individual reports pain based on his/her own perception. The pain rating scale is used to measure the pain intensity of a patient. The aim of this study was to find out the depiction of pain levels after odontectomy in the Universitas Sumatera Utara Hospital. This study was a descriptive study which the sample of this study is all of the odontectomy patients from 6th February until 6th March 2017 in the Universitas Sumatera Utara Hospital. On the seventh postoperative day, every patients were asked about his/her pain level. Pain intensity was assessed by means of the numeric rating scale. Numeric pain rating scale is an 11-point scale consisting of integers from 0 through 10; 0 representing ''No pain'' and 10 representing ''Worst imaginable pain". Every patients is asked to select the single number that best represents their pain intensity. Results showed that 48% patient experienced moderate pain and 52% patients had no pain on the seventh postoperative day. Dry socket was found on the extraction socket of patient who still experience pain on the seventh day. Poor oral hygiene is the main reason of this dry socket. Most of patients who had pain on the seventh postoperative day confess that they were afraid to reach the extraction site while brushing their teeth. This postoperative pain caused by delayed healing of extraction socket, so the pain still exists on the seventh postoperative day.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Rahmi Syaflida AU - Hera Ismayani Sugianto PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Depiction of Post-Odontectomy Pain Levels in Universitas Sumatera Utara Hospital Period of February-March 2017 BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.62 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.62 ID - Syaflida2018/02 ER -