The Importance of Serology Examination in Diagnosis of Multiple Ulcers in Oral Cavity (Serial Cases)
- Rolis Anggi Wuriyanti, Anandina Irmagita Soegyanto, Gus Permana Subita, Harum Sasanti Yudoyono Nugroho
- Corresponding Author
- Rolis Anggi Wuriyanti
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.67How to use a DOI?
- RAS, RIH, herpes, serology
- Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis (RAS) and Recurrent Intraoral Herpes (RIH) are the most common oral lesions found in dental practice. The diagnosis can be made based on patient's history and clinical examination. Due to similarity of size, shape, number, and location of these ulcers, however, it may be difficult to distinguish both of it. Serology examination of HSV-1 and HSV-2 antibody is often used to establish the diagnosis. Case: Two male patients, 26 and 43 years old, came to Department of Oral Medicine with complaints of sore mouth that were not preceded by fever. From clinical examination, multiple ulcers were found in keratinized and non keratinized mucosa in sizes of 0.5 – 3 mm. Serology examination showed negative result for both anti HSV in first patient and positive result for anti HSV-1 IgG in second patient. As a result, the definitive diagnosis for first patient was Herpetiform Aphthous Stomatitis and for second one was RIH. Chlorhexidine Gluconate (12%) mouth rinse and multivitamin were prescribed for first patient and 200 mg Acyclovir tablets (5 times a day for two weeks); 100 mg Doxycycline mouth rinse and multivitamin were administered for second patient. In conclusion, Serology examination is necessary to establish diagnosis of disease with similar intraoral multiple ulcers pattern and to help the dental practitioner in developing proper management for the patient
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Rolis Anggi Wuriyanti AU - Anandina Irmagita Soegyanto AU - Gus Permana Subita AU - Harum Sasanti Yudoyono Nugroho PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - The Importance of Serology Examination in Diagnosis of Multiple Ulcers in Oral Cavity (Serial Cases) BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.67 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.67 ID - AnggiWuriyanti2018/02 ER -