Piezocision as a Novel Approach for Accelerating Orthodontic Treatment (Literature Review)
- Yufridika, Nazruddin, Nurhayati Harahap
- Corresponding Author
Available Online February 2018.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.83How to use a DOI?
- Piezocision, accelerated tooth movement, regional acceleratory phenomenon
- According to the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) the length of comprehensive orthodontic treatment can range from approximately 12 to 36 months, depending on treatment options and individual characteristics. One of the biggest challenges an adult orthodontic patient is the duration spent on treatment. A new, minimally invasive surgical technique in term of piezocision is developed to address this issue and reduce overall treatment time. Piezocision is a novel, minimally invasive technique combining micro-incisions and decortications made by a piezotome in order to enhance the rate of orthodontic tooth movement. Piezocision allows for rapid correction of severe malocclusions without the drawbacks of traumatic conventional corticotomy or any accelerated surgical procedures. Piezocision allows simultaneous hard and/or soft tissue grafting via selective tunneling to correct gingival recessions or bone deficiencies. Piezocision increases regional acceleratory phenomenon (RAP) is stated as osteopenia, a transient condition, giving a way to a complete remission of bone density gradually as physiological healing progress. During accelerating tooth movement, this approach increases the RANKL/OPG ratio. Combined with a proper treatment planning and a good understanding of the biological events involved, this novel technique can locally manipulate alveolar bone metabolism in order to obtain rapid and stable orthodontic results.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Yufridika AU - Nazruddin AU - Nurhayati Harahap PY - 2018/02 DA - 2018/02 TI - Piezocision as a Novel Approach for Accelerating Orthodontic Treatment (Literature Review) BT - International Dental Conference of Sumatera Utara 2017 (IDCSU 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.83 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.83 ID - Yufridika2018/02 ER -