Effectiveness of Mirror Therapy for Muscle Strength in Ischemic Stroke Patients with Hemiparesis
- Yudisa Diaz Lutfi Sandi, Dedi Irawandi, Sandi Alfa, Muhammad Abd. Sayuti
- Corresponding Author
- Yudisa Diaz Lutfi Sandi
Available Online April 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.6How to use a DOI?
- muscle strength, mirror therapy, ischemic stroke, hemiparesis.
- Stroke is clinical symptoms which disturbances in blood circulation to the brain caused either local or global malfunctioning that occurs suddenly and rapidly progressive that usually caused hemiparesis in stroke patients. Late and inappropriate exercises management may cause permanent disability. The range of motion exercises and early mobilization in stroke patients may reduce the risk of disability. The one of rehabilitation and intervention is muscle strength exercise by stimulating the nerves and improve the functional status of the motor/muscle strength by using mirror therapy. Method: These research based on the literature review (systematic review) of international journals, which is use quasi-experiment, one group pre-post test design. These research using purposive sampling with 24 respondents, while the research instruments using observation sheet those are muscle strength scale and visual imagery scale, the exercise guide sheets and mirror as media. The research analysis using univariate and bivariate analysis. A bivariate analysis using Wilcoxon test . Results: The results of these studies indicate that there is increasing in average muscle strength after mirror therapy exercises five times a day for 7 days evidenced by prior intervention the muscles strength mean of upper extremities is 2:12 (0.45) and the muscle strength mean of the lower extremities is 2:12 (0:45 ). After the intervention, the muscle strength mean of upper extremities became 3.83 (0.56) and the muscle strength mean of the lower extremities became 4.00 (0.66). Based on the results of bivariate analysis obtained the calculated value (4369) and significance levels (p) <0.05. Conclusion: The results of the journal's review can be concluded that there is significant differences are muscle strength before and after mirror therapy exercise in ischemic stroke patients with hemiparesis.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Yudisa Diaz Lutfi Sandi AU - Dedi Irawandi AU - Sandi Alfa AU - Muhammad Abd. Sayuti PY - 2017/04 DA - 2017/04 TI - Effectiveness of Mirror Therapy for Muscle Strength in Ischemic Stroke Patients with Hemiparesis BT - 8th International Nursing Conference on Education, Practice and Research Development in Nursing (INC 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.6 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.6 ID - DiazLutfiSandi2017/04 ER -