Factors Influencing a Public Health Centre Volunteers in Promoting Dengue Eradication Program
- Lisa Elfiana Malik, Makhfudli Makhfudli, Setho Hadisuyatmana
- Corresponding Author
- Lisa Elfiana Malik
Available Online April 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.38How to use a DOI?
- Knowledge, attitude, skills, dengue eradication, volunteer
- Dengue eradication program in Surabaya was far from success. It is arguable that this is because the volunteers who are responsible for promoting the programs did not do their best. Anecdotally, they were lack of knowledge, attitude, and skills in empowering the community to support the program. The purpose of this study was to explore the factors influencing their performance in empowering the community to implement the eradication program. This research used a cross-sectional approach. Sixty-four Dengue volunteers from 11 different sub-districts registered as participants by a proportional-clustered random sampling. Data were collected using modified questionnaires to explore the participants' knowledge, attitude, and performance. Data were then tested using a Spearman Rank test with the significance level of 0.05. The results of this study imply that both knowledge and attitude have strong correlation with the performance in empowering the community (p=0.0001, r=0.578 and p=0.0001, r=0.704 in respective order) to promote a Dengue-free area. Despite the educational background, this study suggests that continuous development programs are beneficial to improve the work of the volunteers. On the other hand, this study highlights the importance of enhancing the awareness of the volunteers to gain their roles in dengue eradication program. Further research need to explore the level of volunteers' participation in training and health promotion efforts.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Lisa Elfiana Malik AU - Makhfudli Makhfudli AU - Setho Hadisuyatmana PY - 2017/04 DA - 2017/04 TI - Factors Influencing a Public Health Centre Volunteers in Promoting Dengue Eradication Program BT - 8th International Nursing Conference on Education, Practice and Research Development in Nursing (INC 2017) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2468-5739 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.38 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/inc-17.2017.38 ID - ElfianaMalik2017/04 ER -