Novel Approach to Estimate the SV Traffic Streaming Latency Based on IEC 61850-9-2LE
- Mike Mekkanen, Erkki Antila, Reino Virrankoski, Mohammed Elmusrati
- Corresponding Author
- Mike Mekkanen
Available Online November 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/itms-15.2015.3How to use a DOI?
- IEC61850-9-2LE; process bus; Merging Unit (MU); substation Automation system (SAS); Sample Value
- Substation Automation System (SAS) performance has been gained great improvements by implementing the high data rate process bus based on IEC 61850-9-2LE. These improvements can be summarized within the most important such as reduction in the SAS constriction cost by eliminating the high cost copper field wiring, as one pair of optic fiber may handle all the communication, control and protection signals for a single intelligent electronic device (IED) that may replace 100 or more copper wire connections. Improving system performance and safety by keeping the high analog (voltages and current) signals within the SAS primary side, while provide a full digital SAS within the secondary side (bay and station levels). This paper illustrates and discusses the novel approach to estimate the sample value (SV) packets stream latency within the process bus network. Moreover, it shows the successful implementation of the novel SV packets stream latency estimation approach based on designing a practical IEC 61850-9-2LE process bus using commercial physical devices to assess their performance operation within the SAS.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Mike Mekkanen AU - Erkki Antila AU - Reino Virrankoski AU - Mohammed Elmusrati PY - 2015/11 DA - 2015/11 TI - Novel Approach to Estimate the SV Traffic Streaming Latency Based on IEC 61850-9-2LE BT - 2015 International Conference on Industrial Technology and Management Science PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-538X UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/itms-15.2015.3 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/itms-15.2015.3 ID - Mekkanen2015/11 ER -