A Simulation Enhanced VSM Approach for high-Mix Manufacturing Environment
- Yu Quan, Erlend Alfnes, Håvard Gjengstø Brekken, Mats Moen Eide
- Corresponding Author
- Yu Quan
Available Online November 2016.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/iwama-16.2016.19How to use a DOI?
- Value stream mapping; high-mix; discrete event simulation
- As market requirements change, manufacturers are experiencing the transition from low-mix to high-mix production, handling a larger number of product variants to stay competitive and avoiding reduction of system performance. Value stream mapping (VSM) is a preferred method of implementing lean manufacturing principles in various industries with the aim of improving system performance. However, most applications are limited to low-mix environment. This paper combines VSM and discrete event simulation (DES) to model and improve the performance of a high-mix production system. The as-is model based on VSM is verified using current state production data. Accordingly, the simulation result shows the potential of improving system performance by implementing lean manufacturing principles, which provides a reference to the case company.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Yu Quan AU - Erlend Alfnes AU - Håvard Gjengstø Brekken AU - Mats Moen Eide PY - 2016/11 DA - 2016/11 TI - A Simulation Enhanced VSM Approach for high-Mix Manufacturing Environment BT - 6th International Workshop of Advanced Manufacturing and Automation PB - Atlantis Press SN - 2352-5428 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/iwama-16.2016.19 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/iwama-16.2016.19 ID - Quan2016/11 ER -