Design and Analysis of a New Tool Holder with Force Sensing Element
- Zhengyou Xie, Yong Lu, Jianguang Li
- Corresponding Author
- Zhengyou Xie
Available Online July 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/lemcs-15.2015.47How to use a DOI?
- Cutting force measurement; Force sensing element; Deformable beams; Force model; Structure optimization
- Cutting force measurement is an essential requirement in the machining process. Hence, various methods of measuring the cutting force have been proposed by many researchers. In this study, a new type of tool holder with force sensing element is designed to measure the three-dimensional cutting force and torque. A standard CNC tool holder is modified to produce deformable beams which create deformation concentration under the action of cutting force, and the tiny deformations in the proper positions of the beams could be used to calculate the cutting force and torque. Theoretical analysis of force model has been done. Then, the parameters of force sensing element have been optimized by using ANSYS Workbench to maximize sensitivities and minimize the negative influence on tool holder’s stiffness and natural frequency. Results of the tests showed the new structure has achieved the performance as designed with good structural stiffness, low cross interference, high sensitivities and natural frequency.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - CONF AU - Zhengyou Xie AU - Yong Lu AU - Jianguang Li PY - 2015/07 DA - 2015/07 TI - Design and Analysis of a New Tool Holder with Force Sensing Element BT - International Conference on Logistics Engineering, Management and Computer Science (LEMCS 2015) PB - Atlantis Press SN - 1951-6851 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/lemcs-15.2015.47 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/lemcs-15.2015.47 ID - Xie2015/07 ER -