Volume 7, Issue sup1, January 2014, Pages 58 - 67
Workload balancing in identical parallel machine scheduling using a mathematical programming method
- Yassine Ouazene, Farouk Yalaoui, Hicham Chehade, Alice Yalaoui
- Corresponding Author
- Yassine Ouazene
Available Online 9 January 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2013.853932How to use a DOI?
- Parallel machine, workload balancing, scheduling, mathematical programming
- This paper addresses the workload balancing problem in identical parallel machines context. The problem consists of assigning different jobs to identical parallel machines in order to minimize the workload imbalance among the different machines. This problem is formulated as a linear mixed integer program to minimize the difference between the greatest and smallest workload assigned to each machine. Based on some numerical examples reported in the literature, we establish that the classical formulation which consists of minimizing the greatest machine completion time does not provide the optimal workload repartition. That is why we consider a new mathematical formulation based on the minimization of the difference between the workload of the bottleneck machine and the workload of the fastest machine. The proposed programming method is also used to provide optimal solutions in reasonable computational times for different test problems presented in the literature by Raghavendra and Murthy to test their genetic algorithm.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Yassine Ouazene AU - Farouk Yalaoui AU - Hicham Chehade AU - Alice Yalaoui PY - 2017 DA - 2017/01 TI - Workload balancing in identical parallel machine scheduling using a mathematical programming method JO - International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems SP - 58 EP - 67 VL - 7 IS - sup1 SN - 1875-6883 UR - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2013.853932 DO - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2013.853932 ID - Ouazene2017 ER -