Volume 8, Issue 3, June 2015, Pages 502 - 516
A Supervised Requirement-oriented Patent Classification Scheme Based on the Combination of Metadata and Citation Information
- Fujin Zhu, Xuefeng Wang, Donghua Zhu, Yuqin Liu
- Corresponding Author
- Fujin Zhu
Available online June 2015.
- https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2015.1023588How to use a DOI?
- Patent classification, Requirement-oriented taxonomy, Document representation, Machine learning
- Patent classification systems are applied extensively in innovative analysis. Existing patent classification schemes are either technology-dependent or TRIZ-based. The former ones, such as the IPC and UPC, are normally developed by different patent offices in the world mainly for the purpose of patentability examination and patent retrieval, while the latter is for TRIZ users and analysts with no more than 40 categories. These static classifications are too complex and general to meet the in-depth patent classification requirements of a specific technology area or organization. To tackle these drawbacks, in this paper, we propose an automatic requirement-oriented patent classification scheme as a complementary method using supervised machine learning techniques to classify patent dataset into a user-defined taxonomy. The requirement-oriented patent taxonomy can be technology-dependent, application-dependent or a mixture of both tailored to specific business objectives. It is more comprehensible and adaptable to various patent management requirements. Through a set of experiments on a collection of 14,414 patents in a case study in the technology area of system on a chip (SoC), we recommend using the combination of the metadata and citation information as the document representation for the new method since it can obtain relatively high classification accuracy with a dramatically simplified document preprocessing process.
- © The authors.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Fujin Zhu AU - Xuefeng Wang AU - Donghua Zhu AU - Yuqin Liu PY - 2015/06 DA - 2015/06 TI - A Supervised Requirement-oriented Patent Classification Scheme Based on the Combination of Metadata and Citation Information JO - International Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems SP - 502 EP - 516 VL - 8 IS - 3 SN - 1875-6883 UR - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2015.1023588 DO - https://doi.org/10.1080/18756891.2015.1023588 ID - Zhu2015/06 ER -