Volume 2, Issue 3, August 2014, Pages 124 - 134
Padding Free Bank Conflict Resolution for CUDA-Based Matrix Transpose Algorithm
- Ayaz ul Hassan Khan Khan, Mayez Al-Mouhamed, Allam Fatayer, Anas Almousa, Abdulrahman Baqais, Mohammed Assayony
- Corresponding Author
- Ayaz ul Hassan Khan Khan
Available Online 15 October 2017.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.2How to use a DOI?
- Bank conflict free, coalesced memory access, CUDA, GPU, matrix transpose, linear Algebra solvers, solving system of linear equations.
- The advances of Graphic Processing Units (GPU) technology and the introduction of CUDA programming model facilitates developing new solutions for sparse and dense linear algebra solvers. Matrix Transpose is an important linear algebra procedure that has deep impact in various computational science and engineering applications. Several factors hinder the expected performance of large matrix transpose on GPU devices. The degradation in performance involves the memory access pattern such as coalesced access in the global memory and bank conflict in the shared memory of streaming multiprocessors within the GPU. In this paper, two matrix transpose algorithms are proposed to alleviate the aforementioned issues of ensuring coalesced access and conflict free bank access. The proposed algorithms have comparable execution times with the NVIDIA SDK bank conflict - free matrix transpose implementation. The main advantage of proposed algorithms is that they eliminate bank conflicts while allocating shared memory exactly equal to the tile size (T x T) of the problem space. However, to the best of our knowledge an extra space of Tx(T+1) needs to be allocated in the published research. We have also applied the proposed transpose algorithm to recursive gaussian implementation of NVIDIA SDK and achieved about 6% improvement in performance.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Ayaz ul Hassan Khan Khan AU - Mayez Al-Mouhamed AU - Allam Fatayer AU - Anas Almousa AU - Abdulrahman Baqais AU - Mohammed Assayony PY - 2017 DA - 2017/10 TI - Padding Free Bank Conflict Resolution for CUDA-Based Matrix Transpose Algorithm JO - International Journal of Networked and Distributed Computing SP - 124 EP - 134 VL - 2 IS - 3 SN - 2211-7946 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.2 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.2 ID - Khan2017 ER -