Volume 2, Issue 3, August 2014, Pages 189 - 197
Comparative Study of Various Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Topology Construction Protocols
- Lifford McLauchlan, Soumya Saha, Claudio Montiel, Rajab Challoo
- Corresponding Author
- Lifford McLauchlan
Available Online 1 August 2014.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.8How to use a DOI?
- Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs), Topology Control, Topology Construction, Topology Maintenance, Energy Optimization, Energy Minimization, SWST, EAST, Connected Dominating Set, Atarraya
- As the cost for wireless sensors and wireless sensor networks (WSNs) have decreased, they have become more ubiquitous; they are increasingly being used in many applications such as security, structural monitoring and environmental monitoring. Many WSN applications employ a random sensor deployment to provide sensor coverage. The choice of the Topology Construction (TC) and Topology Maintenance (TM) protocols will affect WSN lifetime. In this paper, two new load balancing TC protocols, SWST (Simple Weighted Spanning Tree), EAST (Energy Aware Spanning Tree) as well as three well known TC protocols, Simple Tree, Random Nearest Neighbor Tree (Random NNT) and Euclidean Minimum Spanning Tree (Euclidian MST), are studied using MATLAB and TC protocols such as A3 (A tree), A3 Coverage, Connected Dominating Set under Rule K (CDS Rule K), Energy Efficient Connected Dominating Set (EECDS), Simple Tree and K Neighbor (KNeigh) Tree, are simulated using Atarraya. Comparisons are performed between many of the TC protocols.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Lifford McLauchlan AU - Soumya Saha AU - Claudio Montiel AU - Rajab Challoo PY - 2014 DA - 2014/08 TI - Comparative Study of Various Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Topology Construction Protocols JO - International Journal of Networked and Distributed Computing SP - 189 EP - 197 VL - 2 IS - 3 SN - 2211-7946 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.8 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.8 ID - McLauchlan2014 ER -