Volume 2, Issue 3, August 2014, Pages 175 - 188
On Design-time Modelling and Verification of Safety-critical Component-based Systems
- Nermin Kajtazovic, Christopher Preschern, Andrea Höller, Christian Kreiner
- Corresponding Author
- Nermin Kajtazovic
Available Online 1 August 2014.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.7How to use a DOI?
- component-based systems; safety-critical systems, compositional verification, constraint programming
- Component-based Software Engineering (CBSE) is currently a key paradigm used for developing safetycritical systems. It provides a fundamental means to master systems complexity, by allowing to design systems parts (i.e., components) for reuse and by allowing to develop those parts independently. One of the main challenges of introducing CBSE in this area is to ensure the integrity of the overall system after building it from individual components, since safety-critical systems require a rigorous development and qualification process to be released for the operation. Although the topic of compositional modelling and verification in the context of component-based systems has been studied intensively in the last decade, there is currently still a lack of tools and methods that can be applied practically and that consider major related systems quality attributes such as usability and scalability. In this paper, we present a novel approach for design-time modelling and verification of safety-critical systems, based on data semantics of components. We describe the composition, i.e., the systems design, and the underlying properties of components as a Constraint Satisfaction Problem (CSP) and perform the verification by solving that problem. We show that CSP can be successfully applied for the verification of compositions for many types of properties. In our experimental setup we also show how the proposed verification scales with regard to the complexity of different system configurations.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Nermin Kajtazovic AU - Christopher Preschern AU - Andrea Höller AU - Christian Kreiner PY - 2014 DA - 2014/08 TI - On Design-time Modelling and Verification of Safety-critical Component-based Systems JO - International Journal of Networked and Distributed Computing SP - 175 EP - 188 VL - 2 IS - 3 SN - 2211-7946 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.7 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2014.2.3.7 ID - Kajtazovic2014 ER -