Volume 1, Issue 4, November 2013, Pages 251 - 259
P2P Traffic Localization by Forcing Packet Loss
- Hiep Hoang-Van, Koki Mizutani, Takumi Miyoshi, Olivier Fourmaux
- Corresponding Author
- Hiep Hoang-Van
Available Online 1 November 2013.
- https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2013.1.4.6How to use a DOI?
- P2P; traffic localization; router aided; packet loss; P2PTV
- Recently, peer-to-peer (P2P) traffic is increasing rapidly in volume day by day. One of the main causes is that most of P2P applications including file sharing and streaming applications often form overlay networks for exchanging data that are oblivious to the underlay network topology. As a result, they generate a large amount of inter-domain traffic causing higher cost for internet service providers (ISPs). This raises a problem of traffic localization. To optimize the cross-ISP/AS traffic, existing approaches focus on solving the problem on the application layer where each P2P application must be equipped with an additional protocol to obtain underlay network information from an “oracle” server or an additional locality-aware procedure to estimate location by itself. Therefore some modifications of application software are required for these approaches. In this paper, we propose a novel solution for addressing the problem, called PLS, forcing packet loss to each P2P packet based on geographical location of each destination at the network layer. Since PLS is implemented at a network router, no software modification is required. This proposal can be applied to all types of P2P applications in order to localize the traffic. The experiments evaluated on popular P2P streaming applications show that our proposed method significantly reduces the cross-domain traffic by suppressing the connections with faraway peers.
- Open Access
- This is an open access article distributed under the CC BY-NC license.
Cite this article
TY - JOUR AU - Hiep Hoang-Van AU - Koki Mizutani AU - Takumi Miyoshi AU - Olivier Fourmaux PY - 2013 DA - 2013/11 TI - P2P Traffic Localization by Forcing Packet Loss JO - International Journal of Networked and Distributed Computing SP - 251 EP - 259 VL - 1 IS - 4 SN - 2211-7946 UR - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2013.1.4.6 DO - https://doi.org/10.2991/ijndc.2013.1.4.6 ID - Hoang-Van2013 ER -